Incubus - <em>Light Grenades</em> CD Review ~ BrooklynRocks: NYC Music Blog

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Incubus - Light Grenades CD Review

Incubus - Light GrenadesI don't know whether it is a good thing or bad that I am trying to write this CD review and I am almost completely unfamiliar with the band's back catalog. Based on the tracks that I previously heard, I had the impression that Incubus was somewhat of a Red Hot Chili Peppers clone. After listening to this CD, I was completely off the mark. I would categorize the songs on this disc as a radio-friendly "stadium rock" tunes.

While the band is obviously talented, this CD really highlights singer Brandon Boyd. His voice carries most of the songs and it is strong enough to even keep the one ballad on this disc interesting. After listening to this disc a few times, the band's sound reminds me of late-period Soundgarden. This CD obviously resonated with listeners as it debuted at #1 on the Billboard charts.

I have never seen Incubus live but they strike me as a band that would be a lot of fun to see perform. I hunted around the 'net for any live videos and found a live performance from the band on the Walmart site (Who would have thought Walmart was that hip?) In this performance, the band plays 5 songs which includes Rouges, Anna Molly and Love Hurts from the new CD. These tracks, along with A Kiss to Send Us Off, are some of the stronger tracks from this disc.

Incubus just finished their US tour with Albert Hammond from The Strokes opening and the band is heading to Europe for a month-long tour in March.