Roky Erickson Is Playing Southpaw in Brooklyn ~ BrooklynRocks: NYC Music Blog

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Roky Erickson Is Playing Southpaw in Brooklyn

Roky EricksonThis has to be the show of the year for me. I know the year has just started but I can't imagine an artist that means more to me coming through town. Roky Erickson coming to town for his first East Coast show ever is the equivalent for me of seeing Captain Beefheart coming out of the desert and touring again or seeing Syd Barrett play live.

It kills me when I mentioned this show to some of the people I work with and they politely said "who's that". Everyone from Television to R.E.M. to the Jesus and Mary Chain cited Roky as an inspiration. For anyone unfamiliar with Roky, Wikipedia has a good overview of Roky and his career and Roky also has a new website.

Roky is playing Southpaw on Friday, April 13th. He has reunited with his 80's backing band The Explosives and Antietam and The Insomniacs are also on the bill. Tickets are $25 and I would expect them to go quickly.