Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam: Does Anyone Really Click on Phishing Emails? ~ BrooklynRocks: NYC Music Blog

Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam: Does Anyone Really Click on Phishing Emails?



The phising emails have gotten so bad that I can't believe that anyone would click through and enter their personal information. After all the media hype and warnings, are people still falling for these fake emails?

Yesterday, I received an email from Laurentian Bank asking me to click on their link to log in and 'validate account activity'. Hmm...a Canadian bank is telling me that there is suspicious activity in an account that I didn't know that I had. It gets better; the email was sent as an image so I have Gmail asking if it should display images from mhkceq@yahoo.com.

A couple days ago, I received an email from "PayPal" where the spammer misspelled the company name.

It looks like cutbacks in education are leading to a stupider class of criminals -- what can you do but laugh?